Cooks prepare and cook food.
Duties & Tasks
Cooks may perform the following tasks:
- check food to ensure its quality
- regulate temperatures of ovens, grills and other cooking equipment
- prepare food for cooking
- cook food by a range of methods (baking, braising, frying, roasting or steaming, for example)
- divide food into portions and ensure the food is well presented
- clean food preparation areas and equipment
- store food in temperature-controlled facilities
- receive and store supplies
- ensure the kitchen is hygienic and functional
- plan menus and estimate food requirements
- prepare food to meet special dietary requirements
- train and supervise other staff.
Cooks may be required to work shifts, including weekends and public holidays, sometimes on a 24-hour rotating roster. The work may be stressful, especially at peak hours of the day.
- enjoy cooking
- a high level of personal hygiene
- able to manage time and work under pressure
- good communication skills
- able to stay calm in difficult situations
- able to work well in a team.