Storepersons receive, handle and dispatch goods coming into, or going out of, stores or warehouses.
Duties & Tasks
Storepersons may perform the following tasks:
- unload goods and check them against order forms
- catalogue or label items with storage details
- place goods in bins and on racks, or stack bulky items on floors
- complete orders by selecting goods from shelves and checking them off appropriate lists
- package and send out completed orders to customers
- move heavy packages using forklift machinery
- obtain details of the location and quantity of items in stock, using visual display units or computers
- enter details of received delivery slips, requisitions and invoices into computers
- count and record the number of items in store during stocktake
- advise supervisor about stock and re-ordering levels
- help keep the work area neat and tidy.
Storepersons may also work as shelf-stackers who fill up shelves in stores and supermarkets.
Storepersons may be required to lift or carry packages.
- enjoy practical work
- good eyesight (may be corrected)
- able to cope with the physical demands of the job
- good memory and organisational skills