Civil construction workers compact, level and spread materials to form roads and footpaths, perform minor repairs to damaged surfaces, maintain bridges, and repair signs and guideposts. They also undertake general roadside maintenance such as grass cutting, weed control and litter collection.
Duties & Tasks
Civil construction workers may perform the following tasks:
- clear scrub, strip grass and remove topsoil
- assist with preparation for laying drains
- spread gravel to form the road base
- operate tank-truck distributors or hoses to spray tar, road oils and emulsions on the road before surfacing
- operate paving machines or spread stone chips, gravel or asphalt onto road surfaces
- erect and dismantle barricades and construction signs
- direct traffic through the construction area
- load and unload equipment and clean the worksite
- calculate the quantities for ordering materials
- comply with environmental and safety orders
- landscape surrounding areas with trees and grass seed.
Civil construction workers may work as members of a small roadwork team.
- enjoy practical and outdoor work
- able to cope with the physical demands of the job
- good hand-eye coordination
- able to work as part of a team.