Travel consultants provide information, advice and booking services for people wishing to travel.
Duties & Tasks
Travel consultants may perform the following tasks:
- provide literature and information to clients concerning local, interstate and international tours, travel routes, accommodation, local customs, fares, and travel regulations
- discuss client requirements and advise on suitable options
- plan, prepare and cost itineraries (travel plans) for clients
- make travel, accommodation and related bookings
- confirm bookings and notify clients of luggage limits and insurance, medical, passport, visa and currency requirements
- issue tickets for travel, accommodation vouchers and all relevant documentation
- collect payments and maintain records of transactions
- assist with changes to travel arrangements and bookings where required.
Ongoing learning is important to those working in the industry. Most travel consultants work on a commission basis. They work long hours including weekends, often working 10-hour days. Travel consultants may also work in call centres.
- good communication skills
- strong customer focus
- good organisational skills
- strong computer and written skills
- able to work as part of a team
- high level of personal presentation
- able to work under pressure
- enjoy working with people
- strong sales focus.