Public servants in the Australian Public Service (APS) work in a wide range of areas such as community and social services, defence, economic management, education, employment, foreign affairs, health, housing, industrial relations and transport. They are employed in a variety of clerical, technical and professional careers.
Duties & Tasks
There are various entry points to the APS:
- Trainee Administrative Service Officer who advances to Administrative Service Officer Level 1/APS Level 1 after completing the Government Traineeship.
- Graduate Administrative Assistant who advances to Research Officer Grade 1 or Administrative Service Officer Level 3/APS Level 3 after completing their training programme.
- Administrative Service Officer/Executive Level Officer who enters with specific skills in response to advertisements for vacant positions, and may progress to Executive Level 1 or 2, in which they may undertake management roles.
- able to communicate effectively in spoken and written English
- able to deal confidently with people at all levels
- discreet when handling confidential information
- prepared to learn and use information technology
- Australian citizen or permanent residency with intention of citizenship.