Translators convert written documents from one language to another while maintaining the precise meaning of the original text.
Duties & Tasks
Translators may perform the following tasks:
- study original texts and transcripts of recorded spoken material to understand the subject matter
- translate the meaning and feeling of written material in the appropriate register and style
- translate a wide range of written material, including business letters, application forms, legal texts, novels and detailed scientific articles
- make sure that phraseology and terminology in legal, technical and scientific texts are accurately translated
- supply subtitles for films and television programmes
- revise translations done by others.
- excellent command of written English
- fluency or ability to learn at least one other language
- understanding of different cultures
- able to work accurately and objectively
- initiative and research skills
- able to maintain confidentiality
- broad general knowledge.