Web designers/developers design, create, produce and maintain websites using relevant software packages.
Duties & Tasks
Web designers may perform the following tasks:
- talk with clients and discuss ideas to get a clear understanding of their requirements
- develop website content
- manage the image and copyrights of the company on the internet
- decide on the design aspects of the website, including the use of graphics, links and forms
- ensure text and graphic elements mesh together as a cohesive, eye-catching work
- develop custom programmes to extend the functionality of websites
- talk with writers, designers, system administrators and other IT staff to ensure the website will fulfil its purpose
- maintain or update the website once it is completed by adding new content, illustrations or features
- coordinate other people, such as designers and writers, to help maintain the website.
Web designers are often required to travel locally, nationally and internationally to meet clients and other people working on particular projects, such as designers and systems specialists.
Working conditions can be stressful at times, especially when deadlines need to be met.
- aptitude for technical tasks
- good communication skills
- able to work as part of a team
- committed to understanding new technology and upgrading skills.