Car park attendants direct drivers to parking positions, collect parking fees from customers and ensure cars are safe from theft and damage.
Duties & Tasks
Car park attendants may perform the following tasks:
- drive and direct cars within parking areas
- issue tickets at time of arrival
- collect parking fees from customers
- use a cash register
- open and close gates to allow entry to and exit from parking areas
- load and carry out minor maintenance on ticket or payment machines
- clean up spills and broken glass
- count money at the end of the day.
A valet driver drives cars for customers or guests at particular venues (such as hotels and restaurants) to a supervised parking area, and returns vehicles to guests when they are ready to leave the venue.
Some car park attendants work under cover in large multistorey or basement car parks, but many work outside in all weather conditions. Car park attendants must be prepared to work evenings, weekends and public holidays.
In a small car park, the car park attendant may work alone.
- integrity and reliability
- a pleasant manner when dealing with the public
- able to cope with the physical demands of the job
- capable of handling money
- good driving skills (to work as a valet driver).