Financial dealers and brokers conduct financial market transactions on behalf of clients and offer advice on financial matters.
Duties & Tasks
Financial dealers and brokers may perform the following tasks:
- obtain information on securities, market conditions, government regulations and the financial circumstances of clients
- deal in the marketplace on behalf of clients
- record and give 'buy' and 'sell' orders
- calculate and record transaction costs
- develop lists of appropriate investments for clients
- plan buying and selling activities.
A commodities trader brings together buyers and sellers of commodities to negotiate private sales and arrange sales through established marketplaces.
Financial Market Broker
A financial market broker arranges financial transactions in the wholesale financial markets between institutional buyers and sellers for a commission.
Financial Market Dealer
A financial market dealer buys and sells financial products within the financial market, and trades and distributes financial securities on behalf of financial institutions.
Investment Banker/Merchant Banker
An investment banker/merchant banker offers financial products and services, handles large financial transactions and operates as an intermediary in the professional and commercial sectors of the finance industry. They are also involved in the money market, corporate lending and investment banking.
- good communication and relationship-building skills
- able to make calculations quickly and accurately
- aptitude for using computers
- able to work independently
- able to work under pressure
- aptitude for research
- analytical and planning skills
- interested in the financial market.