Library assistants maintain, sort, issue and receive library items such as books, magazines, tapes, films and associated records.
Duties & Tasks
Library assistants may perform the following tasks:
- sort material according to classification or catalogue numbers and return library materials to shelves or other storage areas
- issue items from library collections to borrowers and record identification data and due dates
- check records to compile lists of overdue items
- inspect returned items for damage and make minor repairs where required
- issue identification cards to borrowers
- answer telephone enquiries
- assist librarians and library technicians with information enquiries
- assist with outreach services, such as a home library service for people who are not able to visit the library due to illness or disability
- assist customers in finding physical and online materials
- perform inter-library loan functions.
Library assistants work as part of a team under the supervision of librarians or library technicians. They are often responsible for daily library operations.
- aptitude for working with computers
- able to cope with the physical demands of the job
- good organisational skills
- good communication skills
- able to work under pressure
- good customer service skills.