Construction workers assist on building and construction sites by doing a range of manual labouring jobs.
Duties & Tasks
Construction workers may perform the following tasks:
- unload, carry and stack building materials and place tools and equipment in position
- dig trenches using hand tools or jackhammers to break up rock and concrete, so that footings and services can be laid
- place and compact filling and quarry materials
- help to erect and dismantle scaffolding (subject to certification in some states and territories), ramps, catwalks, barricades and warning lights
- mix, pour and spread concrete under supervision
- use wheelbarrows to remove rubble and rubbish from building sites
- dismantle small structures and strip materials in preparation for new construction
- operate construction machinery (such as excavators), subject to any licensing and accreditation requirements
- clean surfaces for painters.
Construction workers mostly work outdoors.
- able to cope with the physical demands of the job
- enjoy practical and outdoor work
- able to work as part of a team
- able to work at a constant pace
- able to read and understand safety instructions
- able to follow precise directions.