Kitchen hands assist cooks and chefs in preparing and storing food, washing dishes and kitchen utensils, and cleaning work areas.
Duties & Tasks
Kitchen hands may perform the following tasks:
- wash and clean utensils and dishes and make sure they are stored appropriately
- handle, sort, store and distribute food items
- wash, peel, chop, cut and cook foodstuffs, and help prepare salads and desserts
- sort and dispose of rubbish and recycling
- organise laundering of kitchen linen
- clean food preparation equipment, floors and other kitchen tools or areas.
Kitchen hands may be employed on a full-time, part-time, casual or seasonal basis and usually work in shifts. They must be prepared to work irregular hours and stand for long periods. Protective clothing such as overalls, hairnets or gloves may be provided.
- enjoy practical work
- good hand-eye coordination
- able to work quickly and safely with minimal supervision
- good personal hygiene
- free from skin allergies to foods and detergents
- good communication skills
- able to work under pressure
- able to work as part of a team.