Copywriters interpret how a potential market will react to an advertising proposal, and write material to advertise products or services.
Duties & Tasks
Copywriters may perform the following tasks:
- study products or services to decide the main selling features
- assist art directors to create ideas for advertising and promotion, often thinking up names for products and slogans that appear on packaging and other promotional material
- plan and write promotional material that will appeal to the people most likely to buy the product, and submit copy for approval
- write advertisements for newspapers, magazines, radio, television, cinema screens, billboards, catalogues, displays, websites, blogs and social media
- write brochures, annual reports, documents, speeches and other sales and promotional material
- discuss theme, style and length of copy with advertisers or management to determine the most suitable approach.
- an observant and inquisitive approach to people, their environment and what motivates them
- creativity and originality
- able to analyse a situation quickly
- able to pick out relevant facts and emphasise them
- able to write clearly
- good concentration
- technical ability when writing for all forms of media
- good time-management skills and able to work under pressure.