Vehicle painters prepare surfaces of vehicles, match and mix colours, and apply primer and finishing coats of paint.
Duties & Tasks
Vehicle painters may perform the following tasks:
- prepare surfaces to be painted by hand or machine
- mix and match paint by eye or by using computer technology to ensure correct colour match
- apply primer and finishing coats using spray guns and rub down surfaces between coats
- touch up paintwork and apply polish to vehicles
- remove masking papers before waxing and polishing finished paintwork
- paint signs or artwork on vehicles
- treat vehicles with rust-proofing chemicals.
Vehicle painters wear protective clothing and face masks.
- enjoy practical and manual activities
- good hand-eye coordination
- normal colour vision
- no breathing-related problems
- no allergies to thinners or paints
- able to stand or bend for lengthy periods.