Carpenters construct, erect, install, finish and repair wooden and metal structures and fixtures on residential and commercial buildings. They may also carry out work on large concrete, steel and timber structures such as bridges, dams, power stations and civil engineering projects.
Duties & Tasks
Carpenters may perform the following tasks:
- construct formwork into which concrete is poured
- set out an outline of the building on the ground of the site, using string and pegs to allow for excavations
- build floors, wall frameworks (timber or metal) and roofs, and lay timber floors
- read plans and specifications to determine the dimensions, materials required and installation processes to be followed
- install metal and timber windows, sashes and doors
- construct and erect prefabricated units, such as cottages and houses
- cut materials with hand and power tools, and assemble, nail, cut or shape parts
- install door handles, locks, hardware, flooring underlay, insulating material and other fixtures
- maintain and sharpen tools.
- enjoy practical work
- able to cope with the physical demands of the job
- able to work with your hands
- good sense of balance and ability to work at heights
- good at mathematics
- good health and eyesight
- able to work as part of a team.