Handypersons repair and maintain their clients' homes or other workplaces, such as residential buildings, schools, offices, holiday camps, or caravan parks and associated grounds.
Duties & Tasks
Handypersons may perform the following tasks:
- clear gutters
- repair broken fixtures or fittings
- apply paint and plaster
- fit, maintain or repair irrigation systems
- replace light bulbs
- repair or replace ceiling or exhaust fans and filters
- clean smoke detectors
- erect shelving units or other built-in furniture
- undertake gardening duties such as weeding, digging, planting and pruning.
Handypersons work indoors and outdoors and are required to work in all weather conditions. They usually work long hours, which may involve early mornings and late afternoons. They may need to work at heights and lift heavy objects.
- enjoy practical and manual activities
- excellent people skills
- able to work independently
- honest and reliable
- able to cope with the physical demands of the job
- a good sense of balance and ability to work at heights.