Administrative assistants perform a range of administrative tasks in an organisation.
Duties & Tasks
Administrative assistants may perform the following tasks:
- sort and distribute incoming mail to areas and staff within the organisation and dispatch outgoing mail
- write business letters, reports or office memos using word processing programmes
- answer telephone enquiries from customers, attend to visitors and assist other staff in the organisation with their enquiries
- operate a range of office machines such as photocopiers, computers and faxes
- file papers and documents
- undertake other duties such as banking, credit control or payroll functions.
Administrative assistants may be required to carry out numerous tasks in a small office, or to concentrate on just one or two specific tasks in a larger office.
Administrative assistants usually work indoors, and may work alone or in a team with other administrative assistants, professional and technical staff, and tradespeople. Experienced administrative assistants may undertake more complex tasks and responsibilities.
- able to work methodically, accurately and neatly
- good oral and written communication skills
- able to work as part of a team
- neat personal appearance.