Bricklayers lay bricks, concrete blocks and building blocks in mortar to construct and repair internal and external walls, partitions, arches and other structures.
Duties & Tasks
Bricklayers may perform the following tasks:
- work from plans and specifications
- seal foundations with damp-resistant materials
- build in door and window frames
- spread layers of mortar to serve as a base and binder for bricks, and remove excess mortar
- check vertical and horizontal alignment of bricks and blocks
- use various tools and brick-cutting machines to cut and shape bricks
- construct arches and ornamental brickwork
- repair and maintain clay bricks, cement blocks/bricks and related structures
- erect scaffolding (subject to licence requirements in some states and territories).
Bricklayers mainly work outdoors and may have to work at heights. In specialised work they may operate in tunnels and shafts. They usually work in teams. Bricklayers work mainly for builders and may have some contact with the public.
- enjoy practical work
- good hand-eye coordination
- able to perform technical activities
- able to interpret and follow plans
- able to cope with the physical demands of the job.