Building contractors coordinate the construction of dwellings and other structures.
Duties & Tasks
Building contractors may perform the following tasks:
- examine and interpret clients' plans or arrange the drawing of plans to meet building regulations
- submit tenders (offers to do jobs at a stated price), quotes or prices for a project to clients
- arrange the submission of plans to local authorities for approval and arrange inspections of building work
- organise employees and/or subcontractors to carry out all stages of building and negotiate rates of pay
- calculate quantities of materials required for building projects and order these from building suppliers or advertise for tenders
- arrange delivery times of materials to coincide with various stages of the building process
- supervise the work of employees and/or subcontractors to ensure buildings are of an acceptable standard and are proceeding according to the contract requirements and programme schedule
- coordinate the activities of office staff involved in the preparation and payment of accounts
- comply with state and federal legal statutory contract law.
- good communication and interpersonal skills
- management and leadership skills
- good planning and organisational skills
- aptitude for technical activities.