Plumbers lay out, install, test and maintain pipes, fixtures, metal roofing, fittings, gas meters and regulators.
Duties & Tasks
Plumbers may perform the following tasks:
- prepare and/or study plans and specifications to determine the layout of plumbing systems and materials needed
- find and mark positions for connections, measure pipes and mark cutting or bending lines, then cut holes through walls and floors to accommodate pipes
- cut, thread and bend pipes, assemble and install piping, valves and fittings, and join pipe sections and secure pipes
- test lines as required by local plumbing regulations
- install equipment such as boilers, chillers, pumps, heating and cooling systems, gas appliances, water tanks, water heaters and solar water heating systems, and fixtures such as toilets, wash basins and industrial processing units
- weld and braise pipework (steel, copper, plastic and stainless steel)
- system testing and commissioning
- maintain and repair plumbing systems.
A drainer installs, maintains and repairs pipes in storm water or sewerage systems and drains. They also install septic tanks, holding wells, sullage pits and absorption tracks.
A gasfitter installs, maintains, tests and repairs gas lines, meters, regulators, hot water systems and appliances.
An irrigation installer plans, designs and installs large watering systems for environments such as golf courses and parks.
Mechanical Services Plumber
A mechanical services plumber installs and services plant and equipment used for heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) in industrial and commercial buildings.
A roofing plumber installs and fixes metal roofs, flashings, gutters, downpipes, rainwater products and other accessories on residential, industrial and commercial buildings. The work conducted by roofing plumbers includes working outdoors, in a team environment and safely at heights.
A sprinkler fitter installs and maintains fire protection systems.
- enjoy practical work
- good hand-eye coordination
- able to work independently
- able to work at heights and in various weather conditions
- able to cope with the physical demands of the job
- good interpersonal skills
- good mobility.