Scaffolders erect and dismantle scaffolding to provide work platforms on building or industrial sites, or for temporary structures such as stages, seating and catwalks.
Duties & Tasks
Scaffolders may perform the following tasks:
- check requirements from drawings and written instructions, select materials and set ground levels
- fit together steel pipes, support braces and clamps to form bases for scaffolds
- lift and position sections of scaffolding and bolt pipes together to build up scaffolding
- place planks over horizontal bars to create platforms
- check levels in scaffolding structures
- use prefabricated scaffolding when available
- dismantle scaffolding at the completion of a job.
Scaffolders work mostly outdoors, at a variety of locations and in most weather conditions.
- enjoy practical and manual activities
- able to cope with the physical demands of the job
- able to work at heights
- a sense of balance
- good hand-eye coordination
- able to work as part of a team
- at least 18 years of age.