Make-up artists apply make-up to fashion and photographic models; actors and other performers involved in stage, film and television productions; brides; and other clients for special occasions.
Duties & Tasks
Make-up artists may perform the following tasks:
- prepare the skin for make-up application and remove make-up as required
- demonstrate cosmetic products to clients
- instruct clients about make-up application
- apply a wide variety of professional make-up products
- design wigs, beards, masks and prosthetics (artificial body parts) and apply them to achieve an appropriate character appearance
- use make-up to produce effects such as ageing, illness, scars and bruising
- alter or maintain make-up during productions to ensure the continuity of a performer's appearance
- advise hairdressers on the hairstyle required for character parts.
- artistic ability
- good colour perception
- patient and tactful
- good communication skills
- good hand-eye coordination
- able to work under pressure.